Having trouble sleeping? Try incorporating these foods into your diet to have an easier time falling asleep and waking up feeling refreshed!
1) Kale: Dairy products are well-known calcium-rich foods. But green leafy vegetables, such as kale and collards, also boast healthy doses of calcium. And research suggests that being calcium deficient may make it difficult to fall asleep. Load up on this trendy veggie before bed and your body will be thanking you in the morning.
2) Cherries: Cherries are one of the only natural sources of melatonin, a sleep-promoting hormone. Have a handful an hour before bedtime; if fresh ones aren’t in season, go for cherry juice or the dried variety.
3) Bananas: Bananas are chockfull of potassium and magnesium, which both help to relax your muscles to give you a peaceful night’s sleep. Plus, they contain the sleep-inducing amino acid tryptophan, which ultimately turns into serotonin and melatonin in the brain. Both promote relaxation and sleepiness.
4) Tomatoes: Grown on the vine, tomatoes are a natural source of melatonin, a chemical produced by the body during sleep. Although it is recommended to get fresh sources, tomatoes can be found in sauces, paste, and even in ketchup. They are also full of antioxidants!
5) Passion Fruit: If anxiety’s what’s keeping you up, you’ll be passionate about passion fruit. Passion fruit contains several medicinal alkaloids, including the sedative compound Harman, which has traditionally been used to treat anxiety, insomnia and restlessness.